PhD, Andrews University
MS, Youngstown University
BS, Bowling Green State University
- Teacher education
- Special education
- Inclusionary practices
- Intervention strategies
- Literacy development
Courses Recently Taught
- EDUC 201: Foundations for teaching in a multicultural society
- EDUC 230: Educational psychology: foundations of special eduation in elementary/middle school
- EDUC 325: Clinical field study
- EDUC 352: Educational psychology: human growth and development of the pre-school/elementary/middle school student
- EDUC 368: Intervention strategies
- EDUC 471: Student teaching in elementary/special education
- EDUC 488: Practicum in intercultural education
- Northwestern High School, Rock Hill, SC, special education resource teacher, 1984-1986
- Charlotte Academy, Charlotte, NC, grades five and six multi-age teacher, 1983-1984
- South Range East Elementary School, North Lima, OH, primary special education teacher, first grade teacher, 1978-1982
Creative and Scholarly Work
- Turner, N., M. Traxler. Children's literature for the primary inclusive classroom. Albany, NY: Delmar (Thomson Learning), 2000.
- "Bibliography and Autism Spectrum Disorder: Making inclusion work." Electronic Journal of Inclusive Education, (2013): (3)1.
- Turner, N., M. Traxler. "Standards-based Teaching: Literacy Development in Today's Classrooms. Creating Multiple Pathways to Powerful Literacy in Challenging Times." Reading Association of Ireland Conference Proceedings, 2012.
- "Inclusion and Autism: Strategies for Elementary Teachers." Presentation with M. Traxler at Young Adult Institute International Conference, New York, NY, May 1, 2014.
- "Children's Literature and Literacy Development." Presentation with M. Traxler at Reading Association of Ireland Conference, Dublin, Ireland, October 1, 2010.
Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education (AACTE)
Indiana Association of Colleges of Teacher Education (IACTE)