PhD, Rutgers University
MA, Rutgers University
BA, San Diego State University
- Sex, gender role, and election campaigns
- Legalized gambling
- Political psychology
- Morality policy
- Campaigns and elections
Courses Recently Taught
- POSC 151: Political issues
- POSC 210: Research methods in political science
- POSC 313: Mass media and public opinion
- POSC 325: American political development
- POSC 365: Gender and politics
- CBS News Elections and Survey Unit, data coordinator, 1978
- political consultant for numerous candidates
Creative and Scholarly Work
- Pierce, Patrick, Donald E. Miller. Gambling Politics: State Government and the Business of Betting. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner, 2004.
- "Political Sophistication and the Use of Candidate Traits in Candidate Evaluation." Political Psychology 14 (1993): pp. 21-36.
- "Gender Role and Political Culture: The Electoral Connection." Women and Politics 9 (1989): pp. 21-46.
- Pierce, Patrick, Donald E. Miller. “Lotteries for Education: Windfall or Hoax?” State and Local Government Review 29 (1997): 34-42.
- Pierce, Patrick, Donald E. Miller. “Variations in the Diffusion of State Lottery Adoptions: How Revenue Dedication Changes Morality Politics.” Policy Studies Journal 27 (1999): 696-706.
- Pierce, Patrick, Richard A. Brisbin. “Counting the Chips: The Policy Consequences of Legalized Gambling in West Virginia.” The West Virginia Public Affairs Reporter, Vol. 25, no. 3 (2008): 2-15.
American Political Science Association
Midwest Political Science Association
Southern Political Science Association