PhD, Johns Hopkins University
MA, Johns Hopkins University
MA, University of Cambridge
BA, University of Notre Dame
- British political and historical thought, 1660-1800
- History of historical writing
- Women in the eighteenth-century Atlantic world
- Catharine Macaulay
Courses Recently Taught
- HUST 212: High society
- HUST 461: Culteral history III: Early-modern culture
- HUST 462: Cultural history IV: Modern culture
- Goucher College, Baltimore, MD, Assistant Professor of History, 1988-1989
Creative and Scholarly Work
- “Women Worthies and Feminist Argument in Eighteenth-Century Britain.” Women’s History Review 24, no. 2 (April 2015): 174-90.
- “Portia and Marcia: Female Political Identity and the Historical Imagination, 1770-1800.” William and Mary Quarterly, 3d Series, 62, no. 2 (April 2005): 265-94.
- Neoclassical History and English Culture: From Clarendon to Hume, Basingstoke UK: Macmillan, New York: St. Martin's Press, 1996.
American Historical Association, 1985-present
American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, 1991-present
North American Conference on British Studies, 1992-present