PhD, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
MFA, George Mason University
BA, University of California, Riverside
Areas of Expertise
- Creative Writing
- Fiction Writing
- Creative Nonfiction Writing
- Nature and Environmental Writing
- Russian Literature and Comparative Literature
- American and British Modernism
- Personal Essay and Memoir
- Walt Whitman
Courses Recently Taught
- ENLT 109W: Language and Literature: Death and Dying
- ENWR 202: Introduction to Creative Writing
- ENWR 320: Creative Nonfiction Workshop
- ENWR 321: Fiction Workshop
- ENLT 390: Topics in Literature: Walt Whitman & American Literature
Creative and Scholarly Work
- “The Twentieth Bear,” Terrain.org: A Journal of the Built + Natural Environments, fall 2019.
- “One Thanksgiving in Maine,” The Fourth River, spring 2019.
- “Betula,” Two Countries: US Daughters and Sons of Immigrant Parents: An Anthology of Flash Memoir, Personal Essays, and Poetry, ed. Tina Schumann, Red Hen Press, 2017.
- “The View Through the Crack,” Creative Nonfiction, fall 2016; Places Journal, fall 2016 (https://placesjournal.org/article/the-view-through-the-crack/).
- Xylotheque: Essays, University of New Mexico Press, 2014.
- A Catalogue of Everything in the World, winner of the St. Lawrence Book Award, Black Lawrence Press, 2010.