Countdown to Commencement
Saturday, May 16, 2015
On this site you will find a brief summary of events that lead up to the big day. Look for a Commencement recap in the upcoming weeks.
Important general information:
- Questions regarding Commencement? Please review our Frequently Asked Questions , or contact the Office of Student Involvement at 574-284-4561 or the President's office 574-284-4601.
- Seniors: Remember - it will be your responsibility to communicate all important details to your parents and guests. Extra copies of this schedule are available in the Office of Student Involvement.
- Caps and Gowns: Pick up your caps, gowns and hoods on Thursday, March 26 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in Reignbeaux Lounge, LeMans Hall. The cost for the total package is $72.00
- Announcements: see here for more information or come to the Grad Fair to order in person from Balfour reps.
- Seating for Commencement is unlimited if the ceremony is held outdoors. In the event of rain, the ceremony will be held in Angela Athletic Facility. The decision to hold the ceremony indoors will be made by 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning. Once the decision has been made, it is final. Tickets for admission will only be necessary if the Commencement exercises are held indoors.
- Every senior must return the ticket order form that was emailed to you to the Student Involvement Office, 244 Student Center, no later than Monday, May 4 to ensure reservations. Each senior will be allotted five (5) tickets for the indoor ceremony in Angela Athletic Facility. If you will not be using all of your tickets, please indicate on the reservation form. Once tickets have been distributed, please remember to give them to your guests. No one will be admitted to the indoor ceremony without a ticket. LOST TICKETS CANNOT BE REPLACED. Please indicate on the ticket order form if anyone in your party will need special seating accommodations. Please contact Special Events (574-284-4625) if special seating will be needed in Angela Athletic Facility if the ceremony is held there due to inclement weather.
- Brunch ticket order forms and payment are due no later than Monday, May 4. These forms must be returned to the Office of Student Involvement to ensure reservations. Link for forms coming soon.
- Commencement on campus housing: information coming soon
- Rain or shine, there will be a simulcast projection of the Commencement ceremony onto a large screen in O’Laughlin Auditorium as well as in the Vander Vennet Theatre in the Student Center. If the ceremony is held outdoors, guests who wish to go indoors to watch the ceremony may do so – O’Laughlin Auditorium is air-conditioned. In the event of rain, guests without tickets for admission to the Angela Athletic Facility will be directed to O’Laughlin Auditorium or the Vander Vennet Theatre to watch the ceremony.
- Keep your memories of Saint Mary’s alive by purchasing a DVD of your 2015 Commencement. This keepsake is shot professionally and is available for $37. DVDs can be purchased by:
- Calling the College’s Box Office at 574-284-4626.
- Order DVD online
Tickets for graduation weekend events will be distributed:
- Monday, May 11 from 10:30 am- 3pm, Tuesday, May 12 from 9am-3pm and Wednesday, May 13 from 9am-3pm. If extra tickets are available, they will be distributed on a first-come first served basis. You must come to the Office of Student Involvement starting Thursday, May 14 from 11am - 2pm to pick them up. Phone calls and emails will not hold tickets.
- All tickets are available in the Student Involvement Office, 244 Student Center. You must still pick up tickets for the Ceommencement ceremony - no one will be admitted to Angela without a ticket.
- Tickets to Saturday Morning brunch in Dining Hall - information coming soon
|Sunday, May 3:|
Department Hooding Ceremonies - (times set by departments)
The core of the Hooding Ceremony is the conferring of the academic hood. The academic hood is the symbol of admission to the community of scholars; in each of its forms (Bachelor, Master, Doctor) it symbolizes a serious level of academic achievement and is appropriately worn only by those who have reached that level. Hoods are formally presented by the department (or program) in which a student has completed her major program of study. At the ceremony there is also recognition given to achievements and contributions too numerous to be cited at the Honors Convocation.
- Honors Convocation - O'Laughlin Auditorium 2:00 p.m.
Seniors and faculty, dressed in academic regalia, will process by department for the Honors Convocation. Each academic department will plan a ceremony at which seniors receive hoods from their faculty. The Convocation also includes the recognition of College and departmental award recipients.
- Seniors: Please read these Instructions for Honors Convocation.
- Multi-Ethnic Commencement Celebration - Lounge, Student Center at 6:30 p.m. This is an invitation only event.
- Senior Athletic Award Reception - Earley Conference Room, Student Center from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Recognication event for senior student-athletes. Parents of senior student-athletes are invited.
|Monday, May 4:|
- Deadline for submitting Commencement ticket order forms to Student Involvement Office; 244 Student Center
|Monday, May 11:|
- Alumnae Senior Champagne Brunch - 11:30 AM
Noble Family Dining Hall
One of Saint Mary's finest traditions, this event heralds the entry of the Class of 2015 into the Alumnae Association. Brunch will be served in the dining hall. There is no charge for seniors, but tickets must be picked up May 4,5, or 6 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., from the Alumnae Office, 109-B Le Mans Hall. Tickets for parents and guests may be purchased. Call 574-284-4578 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
|Friday, May 15:|
- Nurses Pinning Ceremony - 1:00 p.m. Church of Our Lady of Loretto.
Family and friends are invited to share in this ceremony which celebrates the start of professional careers for nursing graduates. Reception to follow in Stapleton Lounge.
- Baccalaureate Liturgy - 4:00 p.m. Angela Athletic Facility.
Students will line up at 3:35 p.m. with the procession beginning at 3:50 p.m.
- Seniors: Please read these Instructions for Baccalaureate Mass
|Saturday, May 16:|
- Graduation Brunch - Noble Dining Hall, Seating times are: 8:30 - 10:00 and 10:30 - noon - Seniors will be admitted with their IDs. Tickets may be purchased for guests.
Commencement 2015 Ceremony, Saturday May 16th
Court of Le Mans Hall 12:00 noon.
Seniors line up at 11:30 a.m.
Procession begins at 11:50 a.m.
The outdoor ceremony in the Court of Le Mans Hall provides unlimited seating. In the event of rain, however, the ceremony will move to Angela Athletic Facility where tickets will be required since seating will be limited. The decision to hold the ceremony indoors will be made by 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning. Wheelchair access and handicapped seating will be available. Electrical power will not be provided for those wishing to videotape the ceremony.
Saint Mary's College will be contracting with a professional company to record the 2014 Commencement ceremonies on DVD so that you can relive the excitement and share the experience with others who were not able to attend. The DVD may be ordered through the Saint Mary's College Office of Special Events. Call 574-284-4625 for details.
Seniors: Please read these Instructions for Commencement
- Vigil Mass-- 4:00 p.m. - Regina Chapel
|Sunday, May 17:|
- Mass -
9:45 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. Church of Our Lady of Loretto