- Caps and Gowns: The Class of 2017 may pick up caps, gowns and hoods at the Graduate Fair on Thursday, March 30 from 11 am to 5 pm in Rice Commons, Student Center.
- Seating for Commencement is unlimited if the ceremony is held outdoors.
- There will be a simulcast projection of the commencement ceremony on a large screen in O’Laughlin Auditorium, Moreau Center for the Arts. (See Inclement Weather Plans for Rain Locations)
- Tickets for admission will only be necessary if Commencement is held indoors. Each graduate will be allotted two (2) tickets for the indoor ceremony in O'Laughlin Auditorium, Moreau Center for the Arts. Once tickets have been distributed, please remember to give them to guests. No one will be admitted to the indoor ceremony without a ticket. LOST TICKETS CANNOT BE REPLACED.
Inclement Weather Plans:
- Rain Location: O’Laughlin Auditorium, Moreau Center for the Arts.
- The decision to hold the ceremony indoors will be made by 9 am the day of the ceremony, Saturday, May 20. Once the decision has been made, it is final.
- Each graduate will be allotted two (2) tickets for the indoor ceremony in O'Laughlin Auditorium, Moreau Center for the Arts. Once tickets have been distributed, please remember to give them to guests. No one will be admitted to the indoor ceremony without a ticket. LOST TICKETS CANNOT BE REPLACED.
- In the event of rain, guests without tickets for admission to O'Laughlin Auditorium will be directed to the Little Theatre in Moreau Center for the Arts; and the Dining Hall, Rice Commons, and Vander Vennet Theatre all located in the Student Center, to watch the ceremony.
Rain Tickets for commencement will be distributed:
- Monday, May 15 from 10:30 am - 1:30 pm in the Atrium, Student Center
- Tuesday, May 16 from 9 am - 3 pm in the Office of Student Involvement, 244 Student Center
- Wednesday, May 17 from 9 am - 3 pm in the Office of Student Involvement, 244 Student Center
On Campus Commencement Weekend Housing:
- Commencement Housing is available on a first-come, first-serve basis in McCandless Hall. Register for on-campus housing here
- All graduates and housing guests must be checked out of the residence halls by 2 pm on Sunday, May 21.
Saturday Graduation Brunch, 8:30 - 10:30 am, Dining Hall
- Tickets must be purchased by Monday, May 8 to ensure reservations. Graduates will be admitted with their IDs. Tickets for guests may be purchased here.
- Prices for the Saturday Brunch if purchased at the door are:
- SMC Student: Free with SMC ID
- Adult (12 and over): $12.00
- Child (5-11): $6.25
Keep your memories of Saint Mary’s alive by purchasing a DVD of Commencement 2017. This professionally recorded video is $40. DVDs can be purchased by:
Calling the College’s Box Office at 574-284-4626
Questions? Please review our Frequently Asked Questions, or contact the President's Office at 574-284-4601.
Schedule of Events
|Thursday, March 30|
11 am - 5 pm
Rice Commons, Student Center
- Purchase cap, tassel, gown and hood
- Purchase Saint Mary’s ring with Balfour
- Purchase your personalized announcements. Print order form here.
- Purchase Senior Class Formal tickets
- Get Senior Week information
- Discover how the Saint Mary’s family continues post-graduation with the alumnae association
- Learn how to participate in the Senior Class gift campaign
- Return Library Books and check for unpaid fees
- Visit Financial Aid representatives for information about your student loans
- Learn about Saint Mary’s Graduate Programs
- Learn about job opportunities from Career Crossings
- Information on Saint Mary’s email account expirations, and how to purchase software from Saint Mary’s IT
Prizes: Fill out a Graduation Fair Checklist to enter into prize drawings.
|Departmental Hooding Ceremonies (times vary by dept, held the week of May 15-19)|
The core of the Hooding Ceremony is the conferring of the academic hood. The academic hood is the symbol of admission to the community of scholars; in each of its forms (Bachelor, Master, Doctor) it symbolizes a level of academic achievement and is appropriately worn only by those who have reached that level. Hoods are formally presented by the department (or program) in which a student has completed the major program of study. At the ceremony there is also recognition given to students' achievements and contributions.
|Sunday, May 7|
- 2 pm, Honors Convocation
Location: O'Laughlin Auditorium
Graduates and faculty, dressed in academic regalia, will process by department for the Honors Convocation. Each academic department holds a ceremony at which graduates receive hoods from faculty.
- Graduates: Please read these Instructions for Honors Convocation.
- 4:30-6:30 pm, Senior Athletic Award Reception
Location: Confrence Rooms D, E, and F, Student Center
|Monday, May 8|
- Deadline for submitting brunch ticket order forms and payment to Student Involvement
Location: 244 Student Center
Graduates will be admitted with their IDs.
Tickets may also be purchased for guests here.
|Monday, May 15|
- Alumnae Senior Champagne Brunch, 11:30 am
Location: Noble Family Dining Hall
One of Saint Mary's finest traditions, this event heralds the entry of the Class of 2017 into the Alumnae Association. There is no charge for graduates, but tickets must be picked up in advance from the Alumnae Office, 109-B Le Mans Hall. Tickets for parents and guests may be purchased. Call 574-284-4578 or email email@example.com for more information.
|Thursday, May 18|
- Multi-Ethnic Commencement Celebration, 5 pm
Location: Rice Commons, Student Center
This is an invitation only event.
|Friday, May 19|
- Nurses Pinning Ceremony, 1 pm
Location: Church of Our Lady of Loretto
Reception to follow in the lobby of O'Laughlin Auditorium
- Baccalaureate Liturgy, 4pm
Location: O'Laughlin Auditorium
Students will line up at 3:35 pm with the procession beginning at 3:50 pm
- Graduates: Please read these Instructions for Baccalaureate Mass
|Saturday, May 20|
- Graduation Brunch, 8:30 - 10:30 am
Graduates will be admitted with their IDs. Tickets may be purchased for guests before Monday, May 8 here.
- COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY
Location: Le Mans Green
11:30 am Graduates Line Up
11:50 am Procession Begins
12 pm Ceremony Begins
The outdoor ceremony on the Le Mans Green provides unlimited seating. In the event of rain, the ceremony will move to O'Laughlin Auditorium where tickets will be required due to limited seating. Graduates are limited to two (2) tickets each. The decision to hold the ceremony indoors will be made by 9 am Saturday, May 20. Wheelchair access and handicapped seating will be available indoors.
Graduates: Instructions for Commencement
|Sunday, May 21:|
- Mass, Church of Our Lady of Loretto
9:45 am and 11:15 am