Preparation for a successful future

Our physics program is designed to cultivate knowledge in the laws that govern nature. We offer courses in physics that range from astronomy to quantum mechanics. The program supports a wide variety of interests preparing our students to succeed in graduate school and medical school, and professions in education, government and industry.

Nationwide 60 percent of all physics graduates go on to graduate school in physics or a related field. The remaining 40 percent pursue careers in a variety of technical fields.

The Bachelor of Science degree in Physics is a curriculum designed for students interested in attending graduate school in physics. The Bachelor of Arts degree in Physics is highly flexible, making it possible to combine studies in physics with other fields, thereby supporting careers in biophysics, computational modeling, economic modeling, engineering, history of science, medicine, nuclear science, philosophy of science, and physical chemistry.

The Bachelor of Science in Physics nicely complements the Five-Year Dual Degree Program in Engineering with the University of Notre Dame, particularly for those interested in a career in aerospace, structural, electrical, or mechanical engineering.

Job Titles of Physics Graduates

Computer Hardware and Software

  • Computer Animator
  • Computer Architect
  • Data Analyst
  • Financial Analyst
  • IT Consultant
  • Programmer
  • Software Engineer
  • Technical Support Staff
  • Website Developer


  • High School Physics Teacher
  • High School Science Teacher
  • Middle School Science Teacher
  • University Professor


  • Aerospace Engineer
  • Civil Engineer
  • Electrical Engineer
  • Field Engineer
  • Manufacturing Engineer
  • Mechanical Engineer
  • Product Manager
  • Technical Services Engineer

Research and Medicine

  • Accelerator Operator
  • Laboratory Technician
  • Medical Doctor
  • Operations Researcher
  • Research Scientist