“Band of Sisters” Documentary/Panel Discussion
Saint Mary’s College will host a screening of the documentary “Band of Sisters” and a panel discussion following the film on Wednesday, September 18 at 6:30 pm in Carroll Auditorium, Madeleva Hall. The panel will include the film’s producer/director. The event is free and open to the public. Click for a campus map.
“Band of Sisters” is an independent film about Catholic sisters in the U.S. and their work for social justice after Vatican II. The film takes up issues of Catholics as citizens of the modern world, with special attention to the notion of the universal call to holiness.
- Mary Fishman, producer and director of "Band of Sisters"
- Sister Elena Malits, CSC, emerita professor of religious studies, Saint Mary’s College
- Sister Jessica Brock, CSC novice and attorney
- Sister Betty Smoyer, SNDDEN, guest services assistant, St. Margaret’s House in South Bend
- Kathleen Sprows Cummings, associate professor of American Studies and director of the Cushwa Center for the Study of American Catholicism, University of Notre Dame
The event is sponsored by the Department of Religious Studies, the Department of Humanistic Studies, the Center for Spirituality, the Program in Gender and Women's Studies, the Program in Justice Education, and the Cushwa-Leighton Library, all at Saint Mary's College.