Belles Defeat Bulldogs for Tenth Win of Season
ADRIAN, Mich. - The Saint Mary's tennis team extended their streak to seven consecutive seasons with at least 10 wins by defeating Adrian 7-2 on Sunday.
The Belles were able to establish an early lead in doubles and never looked back in singles play on their way to the win. Jackie Kjolhede and Margaret Boden were 8-3 winners at three doubles. Kayle Sexton and Shannon Elliott took an 8-5 decision at two doubles. Mary Catherine Faller and Audrey Kiefer out-lasted their Adrian counterparts at one doubles for a 9-8 (9-7) victory.
Faller and Kjolhede both went on to take 6-1, 6-0 wins in their one and four singles matches, respectively. Margaret Boden earned a 6-1, 6-3 win at her six singles match. Audrey Kiefer was on the winning side of a 6-4, 6-2 decision at five singles. Shannon Elliott nearly came back after falling in the opening set by forcing the third-set super tiebreaker, but was just short of the win.
The Belles (10-7, 3-3 MIAA) will host Kalamazoo on Tuesday, April 25 for a 4:00 p.m. conference contest.
1. Mary Catherine Faller (SMC) def. Shelby Kruszewski (ADRIAN) 6-1, 6-0
2. Shannon Woods (ADRIAN) def. Kayle Sexton (SMC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Sarah Brooks (ADRIAN) def. Shannon Elliott (SMC) 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) def. Jordenne Ferenczi (ADRIAN) 6-1, 6-0
5. Audrey Kiefer (SMC) def. Sarah Sokolowski (ADRIAN) 6-4, 6-2
6. Margaret Boden (SMC) def. Karen Kienetz (ADRIAN) 6-1, 6-3
1. Mary Catherine Faller/Audrey Kiefer (SMC) def. Shelby Kruszewski/Sarah Kean (ADRIAN) 9-8 (9-7)
2. Kayle Sexton/Shannon Elliott (SMC) def. Shannon Woods/Sarah Brooks (ADRIAN) 8-5
3. Jackie Kjolhede/Margaret Boden def. Jordenne Ferencizi/Sarah Sokolowski (ADRIAN) 8-3