Belles Bow to Knights
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team fell by a 6-3 margin to conference foe Calvin on Monday evening.
Margaret Boden and Jackie Kjolhede trailed 7-2 in their number three doubles match before staging a big comeback for the Belles. The pair won the next six games in-a-row to go up 8-7, but their Calvin counterparts took the next game to force the tiebreaker. Boden and Kjolhede were dominant in the tiebreaker as they picked up the win with a 7-1 score.
Shannon Elliott was a 6-1 winner in the first set of her number three singles match and outlasted her opponent 7-3 for the 7-6 second-set win. Mary Catherine Faller won a marathon of a match at one singles. The sophomore took the first set 7-6 (9-7) before falling 6-2 in the second. With the match already decided, Faller battled to a 10-7 win in the super tiebreaker to give the Belles the win in the final match of the evening.
The Belles (9-7, 2-3 MIAA) will have a break through the rest of the week before getting back to MIAA play when they host Kalamazoo next Tuesday, April 24.
Calvin College 6, Saint Mary's College 3
1. Mary Catherine Faller (SMC) def. Megan Visser (CALVW) 7-6 (9-7), 2-6, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Lauren Schlagenhauf (CALVW) def. Kayle Sexton (SMC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Shannon Elliott (SMC) def. Jordan Ipema (CALVW) 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Samantha Reitsma (CALVW) def. Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
5. Elise Doezema (CALVW) def. Audrey Kiefer (SMC) 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
6. Ali Roode (CALVW) def. Margaret Boden (SMC) 3-6, 6-1, 6-0
1. Megan Visser/Samantha Reitsma (CALVW) def. Mary Catherine Faller/Audrey Kiefer (SMC) 8-6
2. Elise Doezema/Bethany Zoerhof (CALVW) def. Shannon Elliott/Kayle Sexton (SMC) 9-8 (7-4)
3. Margaret Boden/Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) def. Lauren Schlagenhauf/Jordan Ipema (CALVW) 9-8 (7-1)
Calvin College 5-10, 3-2 MIAA
Saint Mary's College 9-7, 2-3 MIAA
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,5,6,1)