Belles End Season With Win Over Cardinals
NAPERVILLE, Ill. - The Saint Mary's tennis team overcame a 2-1 deficit after doubles to defeat North Central 6-3 in the Belles' final match of the year.
Audrey Kiefer and Kate Snyder earned an 8-2 win at the third doubles flight to give the Belles their first point of the evening. Saint Mary's then was dominant in singles play as they took five of the six flights for the victory.
Audrey Kiefer was a 6-0, 6-0 winner at four singles while Shannon Elliott, Jackie Kjolhede, and Sarah Monte all earned straight-set wins. Kjolhede dropped just six games combined in her two sets at three singles while Elliott took matching 6-3, 6-3 decisions at two singles. Monte out-dueled her opponent in her six singles match in the first set with a 7-5 win before taking the second set 6-2. Margaret Boden came back after losing her opening set to win the second set 6-3 before winning the super tiebreaker 10-5.
The Belles conclude their season 11-9 overall.
Saint Mary's College 6, North Central 3
1. Schillerstrom, Cory (NCC) def. Kayle Sexton (SMC) 7-5, 6-3
2. Shannon Elliott (SMC) def. Velasquez, Jenny (NCC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) def. Urban, Madeline (NCC) 6-4, 6-1
4. Audrey Kiefer (SMC) def. Blum, Katie (NCC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Margaret Boden (SMC) def. Cross, Reynolds (NCC) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-5)
6. Sarah Monte (SMC) def. Pang, Erica (NCC) 7-5, 6-2
1. Schillerstrom, Cory/Velasquez, Jenny (NCC) def. Shannon Elliott/Kayle Sexton (SMC) 8-6
2. Urban, Madeline/Cross, Reynolds (NCC) def. Jackie Kjolhede/Margaret Boden (SMC) 8-5
3. Audrey Kiefer/Kate Snyder (SMC) def. Pang, Erica/Davenport, Claire (NCC) 8-2