Belles Top Scots for Tournament Berth
- The Belles claimed all three doubles flights.
- Monica Davy and Elizabeth Preister won 6-0, 6-0 at singles.
- The 14 wins this season mark the most wins for the tennis team since 2004.
ALMA, Mich. - The Saint Mary's tennis team punched their ticket to the MIAA Tournament with a 7-2 win over Alma while also posting the most wins in a single season since 2004.
The Belles once again set the tone early with three wins in doubles against the Scots. Andrea Fetters were 8-2 winners at three doubles. Margaret Faller and Maddie Minaudo picked up an 8-4 decision at two doubles, and Monica Davy and Sam Setterblad made it a sweep with an 8-6 victory at one doubles.
Davy and Elizabeth Preister did not miss a beat in singles play as the pair of freshman claimed 6-0, 6-0 wins at two and six singles, respectively. Maddie Minaudo added a 6-1, 6-0 victory at five singles. Margaret Faller outlasted her opponent in a 7-6 (7-5), 6-3 final at four singles. Andrea Fetters was stopped short in a 6-3, 7-6 (8-6) one singles match. Sam Setterblad had a big come-from-behind effort halted in a 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (10-7) marathon match at three singles.
The Belles (14-6, 5-3 MIAA) will travel to top-seeded Hope on Thursday, May 5 for an opening round match in the MIAA Tournament.
Saint Mary's College 7, Alma College 2
1. Megan Solano (ALMA) def. Andrea Fetters (SMC) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
2. Monica Davy (SMC) def. Nikki Malekadeli (ALMA) 6-0, 6-0
3. Paige Pontious (ALMA) def. Sam Setterblad (SMC) 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 10-7
4. Margaret Faller (SMC) def. Claudia Barajas (ALMA) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
5. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Chloe Ramsey (ALMA) 6-1, 6-0
6. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. CJ Raymond (ALMA) 6-0, 6-0
1. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Megan Solano/Paige Pontious (ALMA) 8-6
2. Margaret Faller/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Nikki Malekadeli/Claudia Barajas (ALMA) 8-4
3. Andrea Fetters/Kaity Venters (SMC) def. Chloe Ramsey/CJ Raymond (ALMA) 8-2
Saint Mary's College 14-6, 5-3 MIAA
Alma College 4-12, 1-7 MIAA