Belles Topped by Saints in Spring Opener
- Kaity Venters and Abbi Fleming teamed up for an 8-6 win at three doubles.
- Margaret Faller and Maddie Minaudo earned a matching 8-6 victory at two doubles.
- Elizabeth Preister earned a 6-4, 6-3 decision at six singles.
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Saint Mary's tennis team opened the spring portion of their season with a 6-3 setback at Aquinas College on Sunday afternoon.
The Belles claimed a 2-1 lead through the completion of doubles play. Kaity Venters and Abbi Fleming teamed up for an 8-6 win at the three doubles flight. Margaret Faller and Maddie Minaudo earned a matching 8-6 victory at two doubles to help Saint Mary's take the lead. Monica Davy and Sam Setterblad battled but came up short in an 8-3 final at one doubles.
Elizabeth Preister earned the Belles' only singles win of the day at the six singles flight with a 6-4, 6-3 decision. Venters bounced back from a 6-3 setback in the opening set and played to a tight 7-5 loss in the second set of her five singles match. Faller was edged out by the minimum two games in each of her sets in a 6-4, 6-4 three singles final. Minaudo lost a 6-2, 6-2 contest at four singles. Davy (6-0, 6-1) and Setterblad (6-1, 6-0) each earned a game win before bowing in the one and two singles flights, respectively.
The Belles (1-1) return to action on Friday, February 27 when they host St. Francis at the Eck Tennis Pavilion on the campus of Notre Dame at 6:00 p.m.
Aquinas 6, Saint Mary's 3
1. Lea Jansen (AQ) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Martina Devetak (AQ) def. Sam Setterblad (SMC) 6-1, 6-0
3. MJ Bothma (AQ) def. Margaret Faller (SMC) 6-4, 6-4
4. Anna Musienko (AQ) def. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Brittany Mayer (AQ) def. Kaity Venters (SMC) 6-3, 7-5
6. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Kali Green (AQ) 6-4, 6-3
1. Jansen/Devetak (AQ) def. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) 8-3
2. Margaret Faller/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Bothma/Musienko (AQ) 8-6
3. Kaity Venters/Abbi Fleming (SMC) def. Mayer/Green (AQ) 8-6