Belles Ground Pilots
- Monica Davy and Sam Setterblad helped set the tone with a comeback win at one doubles.
- Maddie Minaudo clinched the win at four singles.
- Andrea Fetters won in a lengthy one singles match which featured a pair of tiebreakers.
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team used a pair of comeback wins to claim a 9-0 win over crosstown rival Bethel on Thursday evening.
Andrea Fetters and Kaity Venters gave the Belles the early lead with an 8-4 win at three doubles. Margaret Faller and Maddie Minaudo picked up an 8-6 win at two doubles to make it 2-0 in favor of Saint Mary's. Monica Davy and Sam Setterblad battled their way back late in the match to force a tiebreaker, and the pair emerged with the victory in a 9-8 (7-5) one doubles final.
Kaity Venters made quick work of her opponent in a 6-1, 6-0 decision at six singles. Maddie Minaduo battled her way through a 6-3 first set before decisively clinching the team win with a 6-0 second set. Elizabeth Preister finished on the top side of a 6-1, 6-3 final at five singles. Margaret Faller took a 6-2, 6-2 win at three singles just minutes before Sam Setterblad capped off a 6-2, 6-4 victory at two singles. Andrea Fetters had a marathon of a match at one singles. The senior lost in a tiebreaker in the first set by a 7-6 (8-6) score. Trailing 4-1 in the second set, she outplayed her counterpart to a 6-4 win to force a super tiebreaker. Fetters jumped out to a commanding 8-0 lead in the tiebreaker before securing the win with a 10-4 score in the tiebreaker.
Alaina Anderson and Kaelin Schillinger teamed up for an 8-3 exhibition win at four doubles. Abbi Fleming was an 8-2 winner at the exhibition seven singles flight for the Belles.
Saint Mary's (11-4) travels to Calvin on Saturday for a 1:00 p.m. match against the Knights.
Saint Mary's College 9, Bethel College 0
1. Andrea Fetters (SMC) def. Caroline Boger (BETHEL) 6-7 (6-8), 6-4, 1-0 (10-4)
2. Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Abbey VanDiver (BETHEL) 6-2, 6-4
3. Margaret Faller (SMC) def. Adrianna Ward (BETHEL) 6-2, 6-2
4. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Rachel Jennings (BETHEL) 6-3, 6-0
5. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Alaina Donegan (BETHEL) 6-1, 6-3
6. Kaity Venters (SMC) def. Hannah Weaver (BETHEL) 6-1, 6-0
1. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Caroline Boger/Abbey VanDiver (BETHEL) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Margaret Faller/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Adrianna Ward/Rachel Jennings (BETHEL) 8-6
3. Andrea Fetters/Kaity Venters (SMC) def. Alaina Donegan/Ashton Taner (BETHEL) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,5,3,2,1)