Belles Fly Past Eagles
- The tennis team won 9-0 in their only match of the fall season.
- Abbi Fleming, Sam Setterblad, Monica Davy, and Kelsey Kopf all won singles matches in straight sets.
- The doubles tandems won by a combined 24-10 score.
ELGIN, Ill. - The Saint Mary's tennis team picked up a decisive 9-0 victory over Judson in their lone match of the fall season on Friday evening.
In doubles play, the number one flight of Andrea Fetters and Monica Davy claimed an 8-2 win for the Belles while the number three flight of Margaret Faller and Maddie Minaudo also claimed an 8-2 victory. Sam Setterblad and Abbi Fleming took an 8-6 win at two doubles on the night.
Fleming then went on to take a resounding 6-0, 6-0 win at six singles in her first collegiate match. Setterblad won a 6-2, 6-2 match at three singles. Davy was a straight-set winner at two singles with a 6-1, 6-4 victory. Kelsey Kopf held off her opponent for a 7-5 win in the first set before cruising to a 6-0 win in the second set at five singles.
Fetters and Faller both needed to use a third-set super tiebreaker to claim singles wins against the Eagles. Fetters was a 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8) victor at one singles, and Faller out-dueled her opponent in a 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4) final at four singles.
The Belles (1-0) return to competition on February 21 when they travel to Aquinas to kick off the spring season.
Saint Mary's College 9, Judson University 0
1. Andrea Fetters (SMC) def. Marcilyn Rowan (JUDSON) 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Monica Davy (SMC) def. Martha Banda (JUDSON) 6-1, 6-4
3. Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Lauren Saiki (JUDSON) 6-2, 6-2
4. Margaret Faller (SMC) def. Abby Jungles (JUDSON) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4)
5. Kelsey Kopf (SMC) def. Tricia Poremba (JUDSON) 7-5, 6-0
6. Abbi Fleming (SMC) def. Megan Hunt (JUDSON) 6-0, 6-0
1. Andrea Fetters/Monica Davy (SMC) def. Marcilyn Rowan/Lauren Saiki (JUDSON) 8-2
2. Sam Setterblad/Abbi Fleming (SMC) def. Tricia Poremba/Martha Banda (JUDSON) 8-6
3. Margaret Faller/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Abby Jungles/Kelsey Straumann (JUDSON) 8-2