Belles Battle Past Cardinals
- The Belles edged out the Cardinals in two and one doubles to take an early 3-0 lead.
- Andrea Fetters/Kaity Venters had a comeback win at two doubles; Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad won a marathon 8-6 one doubles match.
- Fetters, Davy, Margaret Faller, and Maddie Minaduo all won at doubles and singles.
SOUTH BEND, Ind. - The Saint Mary's and North Central tennis teams were closely matched as several flights featured lengthy points and solid volleys, but the Belles were able to emerge with an 8-1 win over the visiting Cardinals on Sunday afternoon.
Margaret Faller and Maddie Minaudo were the first pair off the courts and gave the Belles the early lead with an 8-3 decision at the two doubles flight. Andrea Fetters and Kaity Venters rallied from a 5-2 deficit at three doubles to pull within 6-5. Their North Central counterparts were a game away from splitting the first two doubles finals, but Fetters and Venters rattled off the final three games for a 9-7 come from behind win to put Saint Mary's up 2-0 overall. Sam Setterblad and Monica Davy had a similar battle at one doubles. The pair established a 5-3 lead before their opponents pulled within a game at both 6-5 and 7-6. Looking to close out the match by holding serve, Davy and Setterblad played through several deuces before claiming the win 8-6.
Maddie Minaudo put the Belles within a win of the overall match victory with a commanding 6-1, 6-1 decision at five singles. Sam Setterblad suffered a 6-1, 6-2 setback at three singles, but Margaret Faller clinched the Saint Mary's win with a 6-2, 6-3 victory at four singles. Elizabeth Preister stormed out to a 6-1 win in the first set at six singles before coming back from a 5-4 deficit for a 7-5 win in the second set to take down her North Central counterpart. In a match that featured several lengthy points and tight shots, Andrea Fetters edged out her opponent in a 6-3, 1-6, 1-0 (10-8) win at one singles. Monica Davy then capped off the match by grounding out a 7-6 (8-6), 6-3 win at two singles, which also doubled as a birthday gift for her mother in attendance.
The Belles (9-4) return to conference play when they travel to Trine on Tuesday, April 12 for a 4:00 p.m. match.
Saint Mary's College 8, North Central 1
1. Andrea Fetters (SMC) def. Drone, Katie (NCC) 6-3, 1-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Monica Davy (SMC) def. Forkin, Kelsey (NCC) 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
3. O'Connor, Clare (NCC) def. Sam Setterblad (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Margaret Faller (SMC) def. Coladipietro, Marisa (NCC) 6-2, 6-3
5. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Schroeder, Karissa (NCC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Bernardo, Kassandra (NCC) 6-1, 7-5
1. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Forkin, Kelsey/O'Connor, Clare (NCC) 8-6
2. Margaret Faller/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Drone, Katie/Bernardo, Kassandra (NCC) 8-3
3. Andrea Fetters/Kaity Venters (SMC) def. Coladipietro, Marisa/Schroeder, Karissa (NCC) 9-7 Match Notes:
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,3,4,6,1,2)