Belles Narrowly Edged by Braves
- Margaret Faller and Maddie Minaudo teamed up for a win at two doubles.
- Minaudo, Monica Davy, and Sam Setterblad all won their respective singles matches.
HAINES CITY, Fla. - The Saint Mary's tennis team fell in a tight 5-4 final against NAIA opponent Ottawa University on Monday in Florida.
Margaret Faller and Maddie Minaudo took a decisive 8-3 win at the two doubles flight. Andrea Fetters and Kaity Venters lost in a close tiebreaker by a 9-8 (7-5) score at three doubles. Monica Davy and Sam Setterblad were stopped short in an 8-4 final at one doubles.
Davy and Setterblad both bounced back in singles play. Davy won a 6-4, 6-4 contest at two singles. Setterblad outlasted her opponent 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 1-0 (10-7) at four singles for the Belles. Maddie Minaudo claimed a strong 6-1, 6-1 win at five singles. Andrea Fetters and Margaret Faller were on the wrong side of matching 6-1, 6-2 finals at one and three singles, respectively. Kaity Venters fell by a 6-4, 6-2 margin at six singles.
The Belles (3-2) take on Ogelthorpe on Tuesday, March 8 at 3:30 p.m.
Ottawa University 5, Saint Mary's College 4
1. Allison Corfield (OTTAWA) def. Andrea Fetters (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Monica Davy (SMC) def. Jennifer Luedtke (OTTAWA) 6-4, 6-4
3. Madeline Bellew (OTTAWA) def. Margaret Faller (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Taylor Laures (OTTAWA) 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Lexis Hibbs (OTTAWA) 6-1, 6-1
6. Stephanie Rodriguez (OTTAWA) def. Kaity Venters (SMC) 6-4, 6-2
1. Allison Corfield/Jennifer Luedtke (OTTAWA) def. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) 8-4
2. Margaret Faller/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Taylor Stout/Danika Good (OTTAWA) 8-3
3. Madeline Bellew/Taylor Laures (OTTAWA) def. Andrea Fetters/Kaity Venters (SMC) 9-8 (7-5)