Belles Take Down Brits for Tenth Win
- For the eleventh consecutive season, the tennis team has posted double-digit wins.
- The Belles swept the doubles competitions.
- Monica Davy, Kelsey Kopf, Maddie Minaudo, and Liz Preister won in both doubles and singles play.
ALBION, Mich. - The Saint Mary's tennis team earned their tenth win with a 7-2 decision over Albion on Thursday evening. It is the eleventh consecutive season the Belles have registered at least ten wins in a year.
Saint Mary's went out to a quick start against the Brits by taking all three of the doubles flights. Monica Davy and Sam Setterblad were 8-0 winners at one doubles, and Maddie Minaudo and Elizabeth Preister matched that same score with an 8-0 win at three doubles. Abbi Fleming and Meaghan Flynn teamed up for an 8-3 decision at two doubles for the 3-0 team lead.
Minaudo and Preister kept the pedal to the metal in singles play. Minaudo picked up a 6-0, 6-1 five singles win, and Preister claimed a 6-1, 6-0 victory at six singles. Monica Davy was a 6-1, 6-2 winner at one singles, and Kelsey Kopf took a 6-3, 6-2 decision at two singles. Meaghan Flynn ended on the short end of a 6-2, 6-4 final at four singles. Sam Setterblad, meanwhile, fell by the minimum in a 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (11-9) marathon match at three singles.
The Belles (10-9, 4-0 MIAA) aim to continue their winning streak on Tuesday, April 18 when they travel to Kalamazoo for a 4:00 p.m. conference match against the Hornets.
Saint Mary's College 7, Albion College 2
1. Monica Davy (SMC) def. Lauren Rasmussen (ALBION) 6-1, 6-2
2. Kelsey Kopf (SMC) def. Lauren Solano (ALBION) 6-3, 6-2
3. Olivia Conover (ALBION) def. Sam Setterblad (SMC) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (11-9)
4. Chrissy Gauss (ALBION) def. Meaghan Flynn (SMC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Marceline Redick (ALBION) 6-0, 6-1 6. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Kirsten Moore (ALBION) 6-1, 6-0
1. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Chrissy Gauss/Lauren Rasmussen (ALBION) 8-0
2. Abbi Fleming/Meaghan Flynn (SMC) def. Olivia Conover/Lauren Solano (ALBION) 8-3
3. Maddie Minaudo/Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Kirsten Moore/Marceline Redick (ALBION) 8-0