Belles Edged Out by Saints
- Maddie Minaudo and Kelsey Kopf won their three doubles match.
- Monica Davy and Sam Setterblad took a victory at one doubles.
- Minaudo and Liz Preister claimed decisions in singles play.
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team suffered a tough 5-4 loss to Aquinas on Saturday evening.
Meaghan Flynn and Kaity Venters came back from a 4-1 deficit to tie their number two doubles match at 4-4. The pair, however, were stopped short in overtaking their opposition in an 8-5 final as the first match completed. Maddie Minaudo and Kelsey Kopf got off to a strong start with a 5-2 lead at the three doubles flight before claiming an 8-6 victory to draw the team score even at 1-1. Monica Davy and Sam Setterblad trailed 2-1 early in their one doubles competition, but the duo won seven of the next eight games to take an 8-3 win while giving Saint Mary's a 2-1 edge heading into singles play.
Minaudo took little time to pick up a 6-2, 6-2 win at five singles to extend the Belles' overall lead in the match. Kopf suffered a 7-5, 6-3 setback at two singles, and Flynn had a similarly hard-fought loss at three singles in a 7-5, 6-3 final. Davy took her opening set at one singles by a 6-3 score but came up short 6-4 in the second set to force a third set. The sophomore was able to gain an early 2-1 lead but fell by a 6-2 score in the decisive frame as Aquinas went ahead 4-3 in the match.
The match would be decided by the final two competitions remaining - four and six singles. Setterblad posted a huge comeback win in the opening set of her four singles competition. Trailing 5-4, the senior rattled off the next three games in a row for a 7-5 win. Her counterpart took a 6-2 second set win to force a third set. Setterblad won consecutive games to pull within 3-2, but the Saints clinched the match decision with a 6-2 win in the third set of the four singles matchup. Liz Preister held off her opponent at six singles with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 win for the 5-4 final overall score.
The Belles (3-3) return to competition when they face Wisconsin-La Crosse on March 13 during their annual spring break trip to Florida.
Aquinas College 5, Saint Mary's College 4
1. Martina Devetak (AQWT) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. Haley Kuppler (AQWT) def. Kelsey Kopf (SMC) 7-5, 6-3
3. Isabella Buck (AQWT) def. Meaghan Flynn (SMC) 7-5, 6-3
4. Bailey Chouinard (AQWT) def. Sam Setterblad (SMC) 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
5. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Kasey Jacobs (AQWT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Brittany Mayer (AQWT) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
1. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Martina Devetak/Isabella Buck (AQWT) 8-3
2. Haley Kuppler/Bailey Chouinard (AQWT) def. Meaghan Flynn/Kaity Venters (SMC) 8-5
3. Maddie Minaudo/Kelsey Kopf (SMC) def. Brittany Mayer/Kiara Berry (AQWT) 8-6
Aquinas College 1-1
Saint Mary's College 3-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,2,3,1,4,6)