Belles Stopped by Eagles
- The Belles fell to regionally-ranked UW-La Crosse in an 8-1 final.
- Elizabeth Preister earned a 6-4, 6-2 win at six singles.
- Maddie Minaudo and Meaghan Flynn held their own in their singles competitions.
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Saint Mary's tennis team suffered an 8-1 loss to #15 regionally-ranked University of Wisconsin-La Crosse in the Belles' first competition in Florida on Monday morning.
The Eagles took all three doubles matches for the early lead. Sam Setterblad and Monica Davy fell in an 8-4 final at one doubles, and Meaghan Flynn and Maddie Minaudo had a matching 8-4 setback at two doubles. Kaity Venters and Elizabeth Preister were dealt an 8-1 loss in the three doubles flight.
Kelsey Kopf and Sam Setterblad were unable to gain any momentum in 6-0, 6-0 losses at two and three singles, respectively. Monica Davy's opponent - Bridget Bellissimo - is currently ranked No. 10 nationally among Division III women's tennis players, and the sophomore came up short in the upset bid in a 6-0, 6-1 final at one singles. Meaghan Flynn nearly forced a tiebreaker before falling by the narrowest of margins in a 6-4, 7-5 match at four singles. Maddie Minaudo jumped out to a 7-5 first set win but was stopped 6-3 in the second set at five singles. Her counterpart then claimed the tiebreaker by a 10-6 score for the decision. Elizabeth Preister earned the Belles' point on the day with a 6-4, 6-2 victory at the six singles flight.
The Belles (3-4) return to action on Tuesday when they square off against Goucher at 11:30 a.m. and St. Scholastica at 7:00 p.m. in Florida.
#15 UW-La Crosse 8, Saint Mary's College 1
1. Bridget Bellissimo (UWL) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Sadie Spahn (UWL) def. Kelsey Kopf (SMC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Hayley Clope (UWL) def. Sam Setterblad (SMC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Maura Andersen (UWL) def. Meaghan Flynn (SMC) 6-4, 7-5
5. Alaina Bublitz (UWL) def. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Kim Drangeid (UWL) 6-4, 6-2
1. Bridget Bellissimo/Sadie Spahn (UWL) def. Sam Setterblad/Monica Davy (SMC) 8-4
2. Hayley Clope/Alaina Bublitz (UWL) def. Meaghan Flynn/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) 8-4
3. Maura Andersen/Lauren Weise (UWL) def. Kaity Venters/Elizabeth Preister (SMC) 8-1
Saint Mary's College 3-4
UW-La Crosse 14-2; Regional ranking #15