MFA, Cranbrook Academy of Art
BA, MA, Michigan State University
- Three dimensional holographic imaging as an artform
- Laser based holographic imaging as an art form
- Digital imaging in three dimensions/animation
- Digital photography and new media as art forms
Courses Recently Taught
- ART 125: Silkscreen
- ART 221: Photography I
- ART 223: Introduction to digital photography
- ART 266: Introduction to new media
- ART 321: Photography II
- ART 323: Photo-silkscreen
- ART 397: Independent study
- ART 421: Photography III
- ART 497: Independent study
- ART 499: Internship
- COMM 266: Introduction to new media
- Prof. Tyler gained early notoriety as a mural painter after a series of his mural paintings received international press coverage. Coverage of his mural work appeared in multiple publications including HORIZON MAGAZINE, DER STERN (a German publication), with Associated Press, and many others. Tyler’s mural work was singled out for recognition in the mid-70’s when he was awarded a fellowship for his work by the National Endowment for the Arts.
Creative and Scholarly Work
- "Light Dimensions - The Exhibition of the Evolution of Holography National Centre of Photography." The Octagon, Bath, ENGLAND, June 22- September 10, 1983; The Science Museum, London, ENGLAND, December 9, 1983 - March 4, 1984.
- "Mehr Licht / More Light, Hamburg, Kunsthalle, Hamburg." WEST GERMANY, July 26 - September 15, 1985.
- "IN ANDEREM LICHT (In another light)." A11 Artforum Gallery, Munich, West Germany, November 9 - January 28, 1990.
- "Les Immateriaux, Centre Georges Pompidou." Grande Galerie, Paris, FRANCE, March 28- July 15, 1985.
- "International Contemporary Art Holography Exhibition." Institute of Posts and Telecommunications, Beijing, PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA, October 28 - December 28, 1985.
- "FIAT LUX." Caja De Ahorros de Asturial, Gijon, Spain, Fall 1991.
- Society for Photographic Education