"IT’S A PRIVILEGE TO WORK WITH STUDENTS AND HELP THEM REACH THEIR GOALS"
Karin Thomas has worked for more than 35 years as a practicing speech language pathologist focusing primarily on adolescents and adults with acquired brain injuries. She has developed programs for the educational reintegration of students with traumatic brain injuries and most recently, headed therapists in a hospital based multidiscipline concussion team. In addition to clinical work, she has also been an educator for many years, teaching, supervising, and mentoring students.
SLPD, Valdosta State University
MS, University of Oklahoma
BS, University of Oklahoma
Areas of Expertise
- Adult Acquired Neurogenic Communication Disorders
- Educational Reintegration After Acquired Brain Injury
- Gender differences in concussion symptoms from sport related injuries
- The effect of physical exertion on cognitive functioning for return to play determination
- Multidisciplinary approaches to identification and management of concussion and post concussive syndrome
- Quality of life for patients and caregivers
Courses Recently Taught
- SLP 230 Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism
- SLP 380 Medical Rehabilitation
- SLP 486 Research Practicum
- SLP 508 Adult Language Disorders I
- SLP 509 Adult Language Disorders II
- SLP 512 Neurology for Speech Language Pathology
- Saint Mary's College, Assistant Professor 2018–Present
- Saint Mary’s College, Visiting Assistant Professor 2017–18
- Saint Mary’s College, Adjunct professor 2006–17
- Valdosta State University, Temporary Membership Graduate Faculty 2017-2020
- Memorial Hospital, Clinical Specialist 1996–2017
Creative and Scholarly Work
- Ault, E**., Shultz, R., Layman, A., & Thomas, K. (2021) Exploring the impact of translator support in LSVT LOUD intervention for a non-English speaker. Inauguration Symposium, Saint Mary’s College, Notre Dame, Indiana.
- Ault, E**., Shultz, R., Layman, A., & Thomas, K. (2021) The perception of dysphagia improvement in a Parkinson’s disease case after completion of LSVT-LOUD tune-up sessions. American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine Annual Conference: Chicago, Illinois
- Jackson, K., *Thomas, K., Lyndes, K. (2021) The ALS caregiver experience during the COVID-19 Pandemic: A preliminary qualitative analysis of interview data, Research Spotlight, Saint Mary’s College, Notre Dame, Indiana.
- Koning, H**., Paternoster, M**., Quiroz, M**., Szabo, T**., Visser, A**., Thomas, K., (2021) Accuracy of /r/ productions in face-to-face and teletherapy platforms, Research Spotlight, Saint Mary’s College, Notre Dame, Indiana.
- Thomas, K., Lyndes, K., & Jackson, K*., (2021) The perception of religious coping and health related quality of life in the case of an ALS caregiver during COVID-19. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2021.07.438
- Arnold, A**., Coronado, D**., Soderstrom, K**., Szabo, A**., & Thomas, K. (2020). Semantic feature analysis effectiveness in two adults with Broca’s aphasia and anomia [Poster session canceled due to Covid-19]. 83rd Annual Spring Convention of the Indiana Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Indianapolis, IN.
- Thomas, K.E., & Layman, A. (2020). The SLP and the Multidisciplinary Concussion Team: Return to Learn, Return to Play, and Management Procedures. Indiana Speech-Language Hearing Association’s Annual Convention: Indianapolis, Indiana
- Wittenberg, S*., & Jackson, K.*, Escobedo, B*., Gillig, M*., Stickell, M*., Lowery, M*., Hannon, S.,Thomas, K. (2020). Concussion-Like Symptoms Reported in Female Collegiate Non-Concussed Non-Athletes Analyzed by Major. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 101(11), e86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2020.09.259
- Thomas, K., & Layman, A. (2019). Physical exertion and cognitive task performance among asymptomatic concussed athletes for RTP: A case series. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 100(12), e192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2019.10.092
- Anders, D., Nagele, D., Jackson, A., Kolakowsky-Hayner, S., Schwertfeger, J., Thomas, K., Walkman, W. (2019) Certified Brain Injury Certification Course. Academy of Certified Brain Injury Specialists. Speaker for brain injury specialist training. American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine Annual Conference: Chicago, Illinois
- Thomas, K. E., Lamb, K., Gorham-Rowan, M., Hannibal, R., Youngs, W. (2019) Acute concussion symptoms and symptom correlations of male and female high school soccer players. American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine Annual Conference: Chicago, Illinois
- Thomas, K.E., & Layman, A. (2019). Multidisciplinary sport concussion team management and the role of the SLP. Indiana Speech-Language Hearing Association’s Annual Convention: Indianapolis, Indiana
- Thomas, K. E. (2008) Educational issues for students with acquired brain injury. Online CEUS.com.
- Thomas, K. E. (2008) Certified Brain Injury Certification Course. Academy of Certified Brain Injury Specialists. Speaker for brain injury specialist training. South Bend, Indiana
- Thomas, K. E. (2008) Educational reintegration for students with ABI: A step-by-step process. National Brain Injury Association: Williamsburg, Virginia
- Thomas, K.E. (2006) A return to school plan for students with an acquired brain injury. Brain Injury Conference of the Americas: Miami, Florida
- Brain Injury Association of Indiana
- Board Member: Brain Injury Association of Indiana
- Brain Injury Association of America
- Certified member of American Speech and Hearing Association
- Indiana Professional License in Speech Language Pathology
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Indiana Speech and Hearing Association