EdD, Northeastern University
MS, Indiana University South Bend
BS, University of Nebraska
Areas of Expertise
- Writing Instruction
- Elementary Literacy
- Elementary Language Arts
- Authentic Engagements within Elementary Writing Instruction
- Literacy Strategies
- Pedagogical Content Knowledge for the Teaching of Writing
- Intercultural Teaching and Learning
Courses Recently Taught
- EDUC 301: Teaching language arts in elementary/middle school
- EDUC 304: Teaching reading in elementary/middle school
- EDUC 308: Children's literature in elementary/middle school
- EDUC 335: Clinical field study
- EDUC 406: Reading assessment & intervention
- EDUC 486: Practicum in reading
- EDUC 488: Practicum intercultural education--Uganda
- K-5 classroom teacher for South Bend Community School Corp.
- Preschool teacher
- Published children's book author
Creative and Scholarly Work
- Higgs-Coulthard, K.R. (2021). Are we together? Improving language arts instruction through inquiry and contextualized pedagogy. In W.D. Thompson, & D. Coffey (Eds.), Promoting educational success through culturally situated instruction. Lexington Books.
- Chung, I., & Higgs-Coulthard, K. (2019). Investigating the early numeracy, literacy, and data collection skills of young children. The Journal of Scholastic Inquiry (JOSI): Education, 10, 90-107.
- Suico, T., Burnette, K.W., Higgs-Coulthard, K.R., & Higgs-Coulthard, A. (2020, November 24). Teen writing conferences: Co-creating safe spaces for the voices of teen writers. Presentation at the Assembly on Literature for Adolescents National Workshop as part of the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) 2020 Virtual National Conference.
- Higgs-Coulthard, K., & Suico, T. (2019, November). Bridging the gap: Infusing literacy into literacy education courses. Presentation at the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) 2019 National Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Indiana Council of Teachers of English, 2019–Present
- Children’s Literature Assembly, 2018–Present
- Association of Literacy Educators and Researchers, 2018–Present
- National Council of Teachers of English, 2016–Present
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, 2016–Present
- Assembly on Literature for Adolescents, 2015–Present
- National Writing Project, 1997–Present