Mary Ann Traxler
PhD, Michigan State University
MA, Central Michigan University
BA, Michigan State University
- Multicultural children's literature
- Literacy teacher preparation
- Teaching content areas through children's literature
- Developing professional development partnerships
- Developing summer learning opportunities for elementary school students
Courses Recently Taught
- EDUC 301: Teaching language arts in elementary/middle school
- EDUC 304: Teaching reading in elementary/middle school
- EDUC 308: Children's literature in elementary/middle school
- EDUC 335: Clinical field study
- EDUC 481: Seminar in reading
- EDUC 488: Practicum intercultural eduation
- Department of Defense Dependent Schools, classroom teacher and reading specialist
- twelve years in public and private elementary schools
Creative and Scholarly Work
- Turner, N., M. Traxler. Children's Literature in the Primary Inclusive Classroom. Albany, NY: Delmar (Thomson Learning), 2000.
- "Preparing Outstanding Literacy Teachers." Presentation with N. Turner, L. Li, and eleven Saint Mary's College students at the International Reading Association Annual Convention, Chicago, IL, April 26, 2010.
- "Inclusion and Autism: Strategies for Elementary Teachers." Presentation with N. Turner at the Young Adult Institute (YAI) International Conference, New York City, NY, May 1, 2014.
- "Children's Literature and Literacy Development." Presentation with N. Turner at Reading Association of Ireland Annual Conference, September 2010.
- "The Quest for Successful Partnerships: A Seven Year Journey." Presentation with N. Turner at Professional Development Schools National Conference, Las Vegas, NV, March 2007.
International Literacy Association
Indiana Reading Professors
American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
Indiana Association of Colleges for Teacher Education