Thomas F. Bonnell
PhD, University of Chicago
MA, University of Chicago
BA, Saint Olaf College
- James Boswell
- Samuel Johnson
- 18th-century collections of poetry
- History of the Book
Courses Recently Taught
- ENLT 109W: Dialogue
- ENLT 203: Women of genius
- ENWR 319: Classical rhetoric
- ENLT 341: 18th century British novels
- ENLT 372: 18th century script stage 1660-1790
- ENLT 380: 18th century British literature
Creative and Scholarly Work
- James Boswell’s Life of Johnson: An Edition of the Original Manuscript in Four Volumes. Volume 3: 1776-1780. Edinburgh and New Haven: Yale University Press and Edinburgh University Press, 2012.
- The Most Disreputable Trade: Publishing the Classics of English Poetry 1765-1810. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008.
- "When Book History Neglects Bibliography: Trouble with the ‘Old Canon’ in The Reading Nation.” Studies in Bibliography 57, no. 2005-2006 (2008): 243-61.
- "Furnishings: English and Scottish Poetry Series in the Late Eighteenth Century.” Yearbook of English Studies 45, Modern Humanities Research Association (2015): 109-36.
- "When Book History Neglects Bibliography: Trouble with the ‘Old Canon’ in The Reading Nation." Studies in Bibliography 57, 2005-2006 (2008): 243-61.
- "Patchwork and Piracy: John Bell’s ‘Connected System of Biography’ and the Use of Johnson’s Prefaces.” Studies in Bibliography 48. (1995): 193-228.
American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
Bibliographical Society of the University of Virginia
East-Central Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
Eighteenth-Century Scottish Studies Society
Johnson Society of the Central Region
Midwestern American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
Modern Language Association
Phi Beta Kappa
Society for the History of Authorship, Reading, & Publishing