Parking and Traffic Regulations
Campus Parking Information Guide
*Indiana law requires you to buckle up!*
- General Rules
- General Information
- Parking Lot Assignments and Usage
- Driving and Parking Regulations
- Towing/Immobilizing of Vehicles
- Payment of Fines
- Parking at Notre Dame
- Parking at Saint Mary's for Notre Dame Registered Vehicles
Authority for establishing these traffic and parking regulations is given to Saint Mary's College by Indiana Code 20-12-3.5-3.
Saint Mary's College assumes no responsibility for the theft or damage to any motor vehicle, either parked or operated on College property.
- Your vehicle must be registered and the decal or hang tag displayed in the proper location.
- Self-adhering decal must be properly affixed. Do not tape or temporarily affix the decal-use all the adhesive of the decal.
- Students are allowed to utilize any college parking lot EXCEPT the Faculty/Staff & Special Events lot (next to the dining hall) between the hours of 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 a.m. Monday through Friday and any time on weekends or College approved holidays. Academic breaks are not considered approved holidays, only the holidays that fall within the break apply. Bertrand Lot IS NOT a College parking lot.
- Pedestrians have right-of-way at all times.
- Parking is permitted only in clearly marked parking areas and parking lots.
- Obey all posted traffic signs (Stop, Speed Limit, One Way, etc.)
- Do not block traffic lanes, access ramps, crosswalks or trash receptacles.
- Do not park in no parking or bus zones, visitor or handicapped areas, on the grass, on sidewalks, in traffic lanes or reserved parking spaces.
- YELLOW CURBS MEAN NO PARKING!
- These regulations are in force for the entire calendar year even during breaks and holidays.
A. SPECIAL NEEDS
Students, guests and people with disabilities or special needs should contact the Director of Security to make arrangements for special parking privileges.
B. GUEST PARKING PERMITS
Overnight guests that have a vehicle parked on campus are required to stop by Security for a guest parking permit. Permits are available 24 hours a day from Security.
C. LOADING/UNLOADING PERMITS
It is recognized that from time to time it may be desirable to park a vehicle in a No Parking zone or restricted area. The College extends this privilege to members of the College community.
To preserve a safe environment for everyone and to ensure that traffic is not hampered, individuals wishing to load or unload in one of these areas must go to the Security Office and request a 30 minute "loading/unloading" permit. Individuals must present Security with some form of identification that will be returned to them with the return of the permit. Failure to move the vehicle within the specified time will result in the offenders' vehicle being ticketed. Loading/Unloading permits displaying a date that has been altered will also result in the offenders' vehicle being ticketed.
- Angela Parking Lot
This is the primary parking LOT for resident student vehicles and their guest(s). Familiarize yourself with the lot and do not park in traffic lanes.
- Bertrand Parking Lot (South of Holy Cross Hall)
This lot is reserved for Sisters and Holy Cross Services Corporation employees only. No student of Saint Mary's College or their guests will be permitted to park in the Bertrand lot at any time. If the Security Department finds a vehicle belonging to a Saint Mary's College student or a guest of a student in this lot, the car will be towed immediately. THIS IS NOT A COLLEGE LOT.
- Facilities Parking Lot (SENIOR LOT)
THIS LOT IS RESERVED FOR SENIOR PARKING. Familiarize yourself with the lot and do not park in traffic lanes. Students are not allowed to utilize the spaces reserved for "College Vehicle Parking".
- Faculty/Staff and Special Events Lot (Dining Hall)
This lot is reserved for faculty/staff and Special Events and visitor parking only. NO STUDENT OF SAINT MARY'S COLLEGE OR THEIR GUEST(S) WILL BE PERMITTED TO PARK IN THIS LOT AT ANY TIME. Vehicles will be towed at the writing of a thrid ticket.
- Le Mans Circle
Le Mans Circle is reserved for the President's cabinet only. All others will be cited unless special permission has been granted.
- New Parking Lot
This lot is reserved for commuting students only.
- O'Laughlin auditorium: The two non-designated parking spaces directly in front of O'Laughlin auditorium are reserved for the short term parking needs of box office visitors only. The marked handicap parking spaces are for special needs visitors attending events in O'Laughlin.
- Opus Hall Parking Lot
This lot is reserved for Opus Residents and their guests other than current students with valid parking permits for other authorized parking options.
- Regina Hall Parking Lot
The last three rows on the west side of this lot (closest to the cemetery) and the one row facing Regina Hall are reserved for student parking 24 hours a day. The remaining rows are reserved for faculty and staff parking between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Vehicles will be towed at the writing of a third ticket.
- Science Parking Lot
The first eight rows on the west side of this lot are reserved for faculty and staff parking between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
- Commuting Student Parking Area
The next two rows in the Science Parking Lot have been designated for commuting student parking. Saint Mary's commuting students, Notre Dame students and students from other institutions that are taking courses at Saint Mary's are to utilize this parking lot. Commuting students may also utilize the Angela Parking Lot and the commuter parking lot. Vehicles will be towed at the writing of a third ticket.
- Student Center Parking Lot
This lot is for short term parking for visitors patronizing the Student Center. No faculty/staff member, student of Saint Mary's College or their guests will be permitted to park in this lot at any time. Vehicles will be towed at the writing of a second ticket.
- Welcome Center Parking Lot
This lot is for short term parking for visitors and guests utilizing the Welcome Center services.
- Havican Hall, Madeleva Hall, Regina Hall & Clubhouse Parking Lots
These lots are reserved for faculty and staff parking between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Vehicles will be towed at the writing of a third ticket.
Everyone is expected to comply with Indiana law regarding the safe and lawful operation of a motor vehicle. Speed limits on campus are 20 miles per hour.
B. Undergraduate and Graduate Student Vehicle Registration Fees
- Resident Student - $100.00
- Non Resident Student - Academic Year $70.00
- Temporary Parking Permits (2 weeks only) $ 30.00
C. Failure to Register Vehicle
Following the issuance of a second ticket for failing to register your vehicle or for an expired decal will result in the vehicle being towed.
Students are not allowed to use a College parking lot for the storage of their vehicle when the academic year has ended.
Vehicles may be towed away or immobilized at the owner's expense for the following violations with no liability by the College.
- Chronic violators who accumulate five traffic citations in a given semester.
- Vehicles that are not properly registered.
- Vehicle not moved as requested for snow removal or lot maintenance.
- Vehicle parked in a handicapped space without a designated permit.
- Vehicles blocking crosswalks, building entrances, loading dock or trash receptacle areas.
- Vehicles that are abandoned, disabled or junk vehicles.
- Vehicles parked in parking lot where no student parking is allowed.
- Vehicles parked in roadways, traffic lanes, fire lanes, bus zones, on sidewalks or lawns.
- Vehicles illegally parked in yellow curbed areas.
If a vehicle is towed, it will be stored at Rick's 66 Service Station at Auten Road & S.R. 933 North (277-5035). The minimum towing fee of $85.00 and the daily storage fee of $15.00 must be paid in cash or with a credit card at the time the car is retrieved. Rick's 66 is open Monday-Saturday from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. and Sunday from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Community members or guests of Saint Mary's College have the right to appeal any traffic ticket. All appeals must be filed within seven (7) days of receipt of the citation. Appeal forms can be obtained in the security hut or on the security website. Upon completion of the appeal form, please submit it to the security hut with the attached pink citation you received. Any appeal received by the Director more than seven days after the date of citation issuance will be denied.
|Click here for Citation Appeal form|
Traffic violation fines may be paid in person at the cashier's window in the Business Office of LeMans Hall or mailed to: Saint Mary's College, Business Office, Notre Dame, IN 46556
B. Faculty and Staff
The first two tickets issued to a faculty or staff member shall be considered as warning tickets. The offender will be assessed the normal fine at the writing of a third ticket and the vehicle will be towed. One exception: Vehicles illegally parked in yellow curbed areas will be towed at the writing of a second ticket.
Vehicles registered at Saint Mary's may park on the Notre Dame campus in accordance with the parking regulations stated in Notre Dame's Parking Information brochure. Contact Notre Dame Parking Service Office at 631-5053 or Security at 631-5555 for additional information about parking.
A. A Notre Dame registered vehicle may operate and park on the Saint Mary's College campus in accordance with any and all traffic and parking regulations established by Saint Mary's College.
B. Notre Dame students attending classes at Saint Mary's College may park their vehicles in:
- Science Parking Lot rows #9 & #10 (2 rows furthest east) (or)
- Angela Parking Lot (or)
- All rows of the New Parking Lot (North of Science Lot)
C. Notre Dame students are considered members of the community and may not utilize "Guest or Visitor" parking during restricted hours.
This is an overview of the College's established traffic and parking regulations. Individuals interested in reviewing these regulations may visit the Security building to pick up a parking brochure. If you have any questions or problems with parking, call 284-5000. Security is open 24 hours every day to assist you.