What is Psi Chi?
Psi Chi is the International Honor Society in Psychology, founded in 1929 for the purposes of encouraging, stimulating, and maintaining excellence in scholarship, and advancing the science of psychology.
visit the website: PsiChi.org
What is the criterion to be in Psi Chi?
- Must be enrolled as a student at your school
- Must have established a GPA at your school
- Must be at least a second-semester sophomore
- Must be enrolled as a major or minor in psychology
- Must have completed at least 9 semester hours of psychology courses
- Must have an overall GPA that is in the top 35% of their class based on rankings within sophomore, within junior, and within senior classes
- Must have a psychology GPA that is at least 3.00 on a 4-point scale
There is a one time membership fee of $55 once you are accepted.
How do I apply?
Get an application form from the psych department or click here to print one off. Simply fill it out and return it to the Administrative Assistant of the psychology department (room 317 Spes Unica) by the due date (see postings or just ask for the date!).
What does being a member involve?
SMC Psi Chi holds two inductions per academic year- one in the fall semester and one in the spring semester. Once inducted, you are expected to attend monthly meetings and participate in the activities and service projects that the group designs. In recent years, it has been established that in order to receive the Psi Chi honor cord (worn at graduation) that is paid for by the club, every member needs to chair or co-chair at least one event and participate in at least two more. We have a lot of fun designing and carrying out our projects.
Recent projects include getting haircuts at the annual SOS cut-a-thon, having a toys-for-tots money collection and then purchasing toys, clothing drives for St. Margaret's house, and many more!
What are the benefits of being a Psi Chi member?
Being a member of Psi Chi gives you access to many research grant opportunities, conference presentation and attendance opportunities, publication possibilities, service project opportunities, and it demonstrates an academic excellence in the field of Psychology, and looks great on resumes!
Do I have to reapply every semester?
No! Once you are a member of Psi Chi, you are a member for life.