Post-Graduate Service Opportunities
Post-graduate service is an excellent opportunity for you to gain valuable experience while using your unique talents, gifts, and strengths to help advance mission-driven nonprofits and organizations. Nearly 10% of Saint Mary’s graduates pursue post-grad service programs such as the Peace Corps, Jesuit Volunteer Corps, AmeriCorps, Maggie’s Place, Lalanne, City Year, among many others.
Most post-grad service programs have a 1-2 year placement and can be stateside or abroad. Many programs offer a living stipend, room and board or community living, transportation to and from the site, student loan deferment or reimbursement, and other financial benefits. Programs can be secular or faith-based with a focus on social justice, spirituality, simple living, and community.
Questions to ask yourself and discern to select programs that are the best for you include:
- What do I feel called to do?
- What issues are important to me?
- Do I want to engage in direct service? With any particular populations?
- Do I prefer a faith-based or secular organization?
- Would I like to live with other volunteers or independently?
- Where would I like to live: urban/rural/suburban area? A particular geographical location?
- What are my financial needs?
Make an appointment with us to learn more about the benefits of post-grad service and which options are the best fit for you!
Resources for Finding Programs
- Catholic Volunteer Network
- Service Year
- ND Center for Social Concerns (list of programs)
- Notre Dame ACE
- Lalanne Program
- University Consortium for Catholic Education
- Teach for America