PRISM Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I do to grant my parent(s) or guardian(s) access to PRISM Self-Service for Parents?
- What will my parents need to do to access PRISM Self-Service for Parents?
- Why can I see my parent’s User ID?
- I can’t see my parent’s PRISM User ID. Why?
- My mother is an Alumna and does not have a User ID or PIN, how does she get one?
- Do I have to give both my parents the same access to my information?
- My parent(s) are able to access PRISM from home, but get an error message when trying to access it from their place of employment?
- What is PRISM for Parents?
- How do I access the PRISM for Parents application?
- Why is the security question important?
- Can I change my PIN or security question?
- What if I forget my PIN?
- What if I forget my USER ID?
- I am an Alumna and do not have a User ID or PIN, how do I get one?
- I have two daughters who attend Saint Mary’s, do I need different User IDs and PINS for each daughter?
- I have two (or more) daughters who attend Saint Mary’s, but only one name appears as a selection. Why?
- Last semester I was able to view my daughter’s grades (or other selected information) and this semester I can’t. Why?
- Why can my spouse see my daughter's grades (or other selected information) but I can’t?
- Why am I able to access PRISM from home, but I get an error message when I try to access it from my place of employment?
- Who do I contact if I experience difficulty with the PRISM for Parents application?
- Some common error messages
A: To grant access, please proceed as follows:
- Login to PRISM
- From the Main menu select "PRISM For Parents"
- Choose "Select Parent". Select a name from the drop down list. SUBMIT.
- Select "Authorize Information". Read the Parent User ID and PIN Information carefully. Then scroll down and select the information you want that parent to be able to view. It will be the same information that you see on PRISM.
Repeat this process for your other parent. If you have previously given your parent(s) your PRISM User ID and PIN, you may want to change your PIN, and remind your parents to use their own PRISM User ID and PIN from this point forward.
- Access PRISM.
- Login using the User ID and Initial PIN that you provided. (Note: during their initial login, your parent will be required to change their PIN, and set up a security question and answer.Your parent should contact you if they need assistance with navigation, forget their PIN or experience difficulties with PRISM.)
- From the Main Menu, choose "PRISM for Parents".
- From the "PRISM for Parents" menu, first choose "Select Student"; click on student from the drop down box. SUBMIT.
- Select "View Information" (If you receive the message "No Student Records available, please contact your daughter", your daughter has not authorized you to see any informtion.)
- Select the information you wish to view.
- Exit and close browser when you are finished.
A: If your parent is not an alumna nor an employee, you can see your parent’s User ID so you can give it to them to access PRISM. You control their access to PRISM and this access will be secure the first time they login and have to change the initial PIN.
A: Your parent is either an Alumna or an employee of Saint Mary’s, and would already have access to PRISM. However, they will not be able to view any of your information until you grant them access.
A: She'll need to contact the Alumnae Relations Office (email@example.com) in order to get one.
A: No, both your parents' names will appear as selections, and you have complete control over information you authorize each parent to view. This would allow you, for example, to authorize one parent to see your grades, and your bill, but allow the other parent to see only your financial aid information.
A: Many businesses have a firewall that will not allow access to some outside internet sites. Your parent may have to contact the network administrator at their workplace to see if an adjustment can be made to the firewall software to allow them access to the Saint Mary’s site.
A. Saint Mary’s College offers parents the opportunity to view selected College related information about their daughters through PRISM. Students have complete control of their information in PRISM and also have the option to give their parents their own User ID and PIN to view pre-selected information (so the parents would not need to use the student’s User ID and PIN). Complete instructions through FAQs can be found below. Questions about PRISM for Parents can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Parents of new first year students will be able view their daughter’s information after August 1st when the new students are allowed into PRISM (after the student grants permission following the instructions below).
A: USER ID: You must first obtain your PRISM User ID (a 9 digit number) from your daughter. (If you are an Alumna or SMC employee you will already have a PRISM User ID.) This will be available to her when she authorizes her parents to view selected information. Each parent will have his/her own User ID. (For more information, see also Instructions for Students.)
- If you are NOT an Alum or SMC Employee your initial PIN will be the last 6 digits of the User ID. In some cases it may be your birthdate if for any reason it is in our database.
- If you are an Alum or SMC Employee you will already have your User ID and PIN; continue to use both.
- During your first login, you will be required to change the initial PIN, and setup security questions/answers (see information below) in case you forget your PIN.
- The PIN must be 6-15 characters and one must be a number.
If you have been granted access by your daughter, you can view her information by following the instructions below:
- Navigate to PRISM.
- Select "Enter Secure Area".
- Enter your User ID and PIN. Click on LOGIN (NOTE: during the initial login you will be required to change your PIN, and set up a security question and answer. Your should contact your daughter if you need assistance with navigation or if you experience difficulties with PRISM.)
- From the Main Menu, select "PRISM for Parents".
- From the "PRISM for Parents" menu choose "Select Student". SUBMIT.
- Click on student from the drop down box. SUBMIT. You will then return to the menu.
- Select "View Information" (NOTE: If you receive the message "No student records available, please contact your daughter" as she has not authorized you to see any information.)
- Select the information you wish to view.
- Exit and close browser when you are finished.
If your daughter had previously given you her PRISM User ID and PIN, she should now change her PIN and you should begin using your own User ID and PIN from this point forward.
A: If you should forget your PIN, successful completion of the security question will be the only way to submit a new PIN to allow you back into PRISM. The security question should be something that only you can answer. For example: Who was my favorite high school teacher? or Where did I get my last parking ticket? The more obscure the question the better. The primary reason for the PIN and security question is to protect the confidentiality of the information that you are able to view. Do not share your PIN or User ID with anyone.
A: You may change your PIN or security question at any time through the Personal Information menu that appears when you first login to PRISM.
A: On the PRISM login page, after typing in your User ID you can select the “Forgot PIN” button. The system will present your security question. After correctly answering the question you will be required to enter a new PIN (twice for verification), and then you will be allowed into PRISM.
A: Contact your daughter, she will have access to your User ID through her PRISM account.
A: There are intructions for Alumnae on the Alumnae Relations website, available here.
A: No, you only need to obtain the User ID and PIN information from one daughter. The login is the same for viewing information on all daughters.
A:The daughter that does not show up has not yet granted you access to her information.
A: A student may update/change the information that is available to her parents at any time.You may view your daughter's "Authorization History" from the PRISM for Parent Menu. This will tell you when your daughter turned on/off selected information. Contact your daughter regarding this authorization.
A: Your daughter may choose the specific information she wants each parent to see. Contact your daughter.
A: Many businesses have a firewall that will not allow access to some outside internet sites.You may have to contact the network administrator at your workplace to see if an adjustment can be made to the firewall software to allow you to access the Saint Mary’s site.
A: Should you need assistance navigating through PRISM, or experience any other difficulties you should contact your daughter, since she uses the same web pages that you will be using. Your daughter should be the first and best resource for help. If you experience technical difficulty or are unable to resolve the issue send an e-mail to: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Authorization Failure—Invalid User ID or PIN"
You entered your User ID or PIN incorrectly. Verify your User ID with your daughter (a 9 digit number beginning with 98XXXXXXX). If you’ve forgotten your PIN, enter the correct User ID and click on “Forgot PIN” to take you to your Security Question. Answer the question exactly as submitted and you will be able to select another PIN.
"Your web access has been disabled. Please contact the Computing and Information Sevices Office for information about your account."
Your account has been disabled because you have tried too many times to enter an correct User ID or PIN. You must contact the Saint Mary’s Helpdesk at 574-284-4715 (during normal business hours) or via email at email@example.com.