PhD, Bowling Green State University
MA, University of New Mexico
BA, Northern Arizona University
- Intercultural communication
- Relational communication
- Gender and women's studies
Courses Recently Taught
- COMM 103: Introduction to communication
- COMM 200: Interpersonal communication
- COMM 307: Organizational communication
- COMM 350: Intercultural communication
- COMM 385: Research in communication
- Eight years of experience as organizational communication consultant and/or corporate communication specialist.
Creative and Scholarly Work
- Croucher, S. M., M.L. Austin, L. Fang, and K.J. Holody. "Interpersonal attraction and religious identification: A comparative analysis of Muslims and Hindus in India." Asian Journal of Communication (2012).
- Austin, M. L. Diary of Anorexia. In S. L. Faulkner (Ed.), The aesthetics of relating: Creative cases in relational communication. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press, 2013.
- Austin, M. and T. Russ. "Embracing Ambivalent Feminism as a Path Toward Reluctant Empowerment." Paper presentation at the annual meeting of the National Women’s Studies Association Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico, November 2014.
- Austin, M. "The Moderate Muslim Woman: Problematizing Democracy, Citizenship, and Dialogue." Paper presentation at the annual meeting of the International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry, Urbana-Champaign-IL, May 2013.
- Austin, M. "Negotiation Multiple Worlds: Women Reverting to Islam and Maintaining/Building Communities." Paper presentation at the annual meeting of the National Communication Association, Orlando, FL, November 2012.
- National Communication Association
- National Women's Studies Association
- International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry