We want to learn about what makes you, you. Your talents, your passions, your skills, your potential. The admission committee carefully considers a wide variety of your accomplishments and experiences during the evaluation process. We pay particular attention to the unique qualities you possess, including:
- academic accomplishments as evidenced by rigor of coursework, grades, grade trends
- SAT or ACT scores (unless you plan to apply Test Optional - see below)
- extracurricular activities
- community service and leadership experience
- personal essay
- recommendations from counselors, teachers, coaches and other personal acquaintances
- high school transcript
- SAT or ACT scores (unless you plan to apply Test Optional) - our code for the SAT is 1702 and our code for the ACT is 1244 (writing scores are optional)
- secondary school report
- personal essay
- recommendation from at least one counselor/teacher/coach/etc
For admission to Saint Mary’s, you should complete a minimum of 16 academic units (one unit represents one year of study) in high school that include:
- four years of English
- three years of college prep mathematics
- two years of laboratory science
- two years of the same foreign language
- two years of social studies
- three additional units in any of the above areas, for a minimum of 16 units
*Classes at the Honors or Advanced Placement level are highly recommended.
A successful candidate for admission to Saint Mary’s will not only meet the coursework requirements listed above, but she will also have strong standardized test scores (ACT and/or SAT); leadership qualities; a commitment to her passions outside the classroom; and the support of her counselors or teachers for admittance.
For the Class of 2020, the middle 50 percent of students had a:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.48 - 4.04
- ACT Superscore of 23-29
- SAT Superscore of 1000-1220* (CR + M)
As you navigate your way through the admission process, we invite you to meet with or contact your admission counselor if you have any questions or concerns.
*This range reflects scores from the traditional SAT. The Saint Mary's Office of Admission will consider scores from both the traditional and redesigned SAT in the coming year. All scores from the redesigned SAT will be concorded to traditional scores.
Check back for more information about our Test Optional program in the coming weeks
Based on research and our approach to a student-centered education, Saint Mary's has decided to adopt a test-optional alternative starting with the first year class who will apply for Fall 2019. Students who apply for admission will have the ability on the Common Application to indicate whether or not they desire to have their test scores considered in the admission and scholarship decision process. Both our external and internal research demonstrates that your high school record - your grades and the rigor of your coursework - is the most important factor in the review process and best predicts how you'll perform at the college level.
Requirements to apply Test Optional:
- Mimimum GPA of 3.2 out of a 4.0 grading scale
- Must submit two additional pieces to complete their applications: an academic writing sample (analytical paper, expository essay, research report, etc. AND an academic teacher recommendation from a teacher who taught you from 10-12 grades
- International and homeschooled students are not eligible to apply Test Optional