Tuition Refund Policy
Students who properly withdraw from the College prior to the first day of class for any semester will not be assessed any charges. For students withdrawing or dismissed after the opening of classes for any semester, there will be no refund of tuition and fees unless the student meets one of the following conditions:
- Withdrawal or dismissal within four calendar weeks of the opening of classes.
- Withdrawal because of a protracted illness or some other involuntary situation that is beyond the control of the student.
If any of the above conditions applies, the refund will be calculated in conformity with the following policies*:
- Student withdraws or is dismissed within four calendar weeks of the opening of classes: Please note: The refund schedule will be adjusted accordingly based on the above schedule for students who withdraw from semesters or courses with durations of less than 16 weeks.
- Tuition, Fees, Room and Board:
Calendar Weeks Percentage First week 70% Second week 55% Third week 40% Fourth week 25%
Please note: The refund schedule will be adjusted accordingly based on the above schedule for students who withdraw from semesters or courses with durations of less than 16 weeks.
- Tuition, Fees, Room and Board:
- Withdrawal is due to protracted illness or another involuntary situation:
- Tuition: A pro rata refund based upon the portion of the semester that has elapsed, up to a maximum of 60 percent of the total charges, will be made. No refund will be made once 60% of the semester is completed.
- Room and board charges: A refund equal to 60 percent for each remaining calendar day of the semester will be made. No refund will be made once 60% of the semester is completed.
- Fees are not refundable.
- Withdrawal from a class or classes: If a student drops a class after registration has taken place and a new tuition category applies, an adjustment refund will occur if the class is dropped within the first four weeks of the academic year as follows (this policy applies to both tuition charges and course fees related to the course or courses dropped):
Calendar Weeks Percentage First week 70% Second week 55% Third week 40% Fourth week 25% Fifth and subsequent weeks no refund of any tuition or fees associated with that class
- Withdrawal from international programs: Students who withdraw from Saint Mary’s international programs are subject to the reimbursement policies for each individual program.
The refund policy will be administered by the College Business Office under the direction of the Controller of the College. A parent or student who wishes to appeal a decision of that office may do so by addressing a written communication to the Vice President for Strategy and Finance, Saint Mary’s College, Notre Dame, IN 46556. All notices of intention to withdraw must be made in writing and received in the Office of Academic Affairs and First Year Studies to be considered official. Any refunds will be considered official. Refunds for all funds excepting financial aid received from state and/or federal sources, which may have its own regulatory requirements, will be based on the date that the withdrawal process was initiated by the student. Refunds may not be back-dated beyond this initiation date.
*Tuition Insurance Is Available
Saint Mary’s students have the ability to protect their college investment by purchasing tuition insurance each semester. This optional coverage expands the scope of our refund policy by ensuring reimbursement for tuition, room and board and other fees for unexpected, covered withdrawals at any time during the semester. Learn more about the Tuition Protection Plan at GradGuard.com/tuition/saintmarys or call 877-794-6603.