Grants award aid to college students based solely on financial need. Grants do not have to be paid back. Grants can originate from Saint Mary's College (institutional grants), your state of residence, and from Federal programs (note: requires Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA.) You may receive grants from multiple sources. Information on the various types of grants follows.

Institutional Grants

The following institutional grants are awarded primarily on financial need, with other factors as noted. Students must reapply annually for financial aid to determine eligibility. Institutional Grants are limited to a maximum of eight semesters and are only awarded to full-time students.


Saint Mary's College Grant

Saint Mary's Grant is awarded solely on the basis of financial need. Since the College is committed to making a Saint Mary's education a possibility for students who demonstrate financial need, each student who applies for financial aid receives consideration for grant assistance.

If a grant is offered, the amount is proportional to the demonstrated financial need. In some cases, students will also receive federal and/or state grant assistance. Saint Mary's Grant is restricted to tuition only and may be reduced if other tuition-restricted funds are received from outside sources.

  • For priority consideration, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS/PROFILE Financial Aid Forms by March 1st of your senior year of high school.
  • Returning students must also complete these applications annually to determine eligibility.
  • Financial aid awards are contingent upon acceptance to the College.

Holy Cross Grant:

The Holy Cross Grant is awarded to minority and under-represented students. Based on financial need, Holy Cross Grants range from $500 to a maximum of $4,000.  Funding is limited to a maximum of eight semesters. Students must live in campus-owned housing (unless on a study abroad program) to receive the Holy Cross Grant.

State Grants

Indiana Residents:

To be considered for Indiana State Aid:

  • You must be and remain a legal resident of the state of Indiana throughout the academic year. If you are a dependent student, your parent(s) must also be and remain legal residents of Indiana throughout the academic year.
  • Your 2015-16 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be received by the federal processor on or before March 10, 2015. You must reapply each year by March 10 to determine your continued eligibility.
  • You must have demonstrated financial need per your FAFSA, and maintain satisfactory academic progress as a full-time student.
  • Saint Mary's College (school code: 001836) must be the FIRST school on your FAFSA. You can change or reorganize your school choices on the Indiana Commission forf Higher Education web site.
  • After filing the FAFSA, check the eStudent web site to see if there are any FAFSA corrections (edits) you must get to the Federal processor by the May 15, 2014, correction receipt deadline.

Click on the following links to learn more about these Indiana State Grant programs:

21st Century Scholars Program

Indiana Part-Time Residents

If you are an Indiana resident and will be attendind Saint Mary's College on part-time status, you can apply for state part-time grant award consideration through your 2015-16 FAFSA. A link to the state of Indiana Part-Time Grant application will appear on your FAFSA confirmation page. This link will appear ONLY at the time of initial FAFSA filing, and will NOT appear in subsequent updates on your 2015-16 FAFSA.  Beginning in late February, you will be able to link directly to the application through the SFA website.

Michigan Residents:

For 2009-10 and beyond, Michigan state assistance is no longer applicable to schools outside the state of Michigan. This includes both the Michigan Merit Award (MEAP) and Michigan Promise awards.

Residents of Other States:

The following states allow their grants to be used outside the sponsoring state: Rhode Island and Vermont. Students should consult school counselors regarding application requirements.

Rhode Island State Grants

Vermont State Grants

Federal Grants

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required annually for ALL Federal grant programs.

Federal Pell Grant:

Federal Pell Grant is available through the federal government by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Pell Grant funding:

  • Is designed to aid exceptionally needy students
  • Does not have to be repaid
  • Is awarded only to undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor's or professional degree

Congress has established a standard formula to evaluate the FAFSA information and determine a student's eligibility for Pell Grant. This formula produces a number called the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is noted on the Student Aid Report (SAR) the student receives after completing the FAFSA.

Pell Grant awards for an academic year depend on the program funding appropriations established by Congress. The maximum Pell Grant amount for the 2014-15 award year was $5,730.

Several factors can impact Pell Grant eligibility, such as:

  • The student's EFC
  • The cost of attendance for the year
  • Whether the student is enrolled full-time or less than full-time
  • Whether attendance is for a full academic year or less than a full year

Federal SEOG:

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need.

FSEOG funding:

  • Is awarded with the highest priority given to students with the lowest Expected Family Contributions (EFCs) and those who receive Federal Pell Grants
  • Does not have to be repaid
  • Can range between $100 and $4,000 per year, depending on when a student applies, the level of need, and the funding level provided by the federal government to Saint Mary's.

TEACH Grant:

This grant is for students intending to teach full time for at least four years in high-need subject areas at low income schools. Please note that if a student does not complete all four years of qualified teaching service the grant reverts to an unsubsidized loan with interest accruing from the date of original disbursement!

Criteria for the TEACH Grant:

  • While financial need is not a criterion for this grant, students do need to complete the FAFSA
  • Must be admitted to the Education Program (have successfully completed EDUC 201) at Saint Mary's College
  • Must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.25

If you are interested in receiving the TEACH Grant, please contact the Financial Aid Office.  Once your eligibility is confirmed we will discuss with you the steps needed to complete your TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve and your TEACH Entrance Counseling.  Additional information about the TEACH grant can be found at: